Saturday, April 20, 2013

Horrible Responsibility #6



This series exists to help me refine my reflections about daily life as I seek:
To worship God and relentlessly seek the expansion of his Kingdom on Earth.



God,

You made the Son one of us. But he is also not. He is fully different. He is fully you. I am, we are, merely made in your image.

This distinction is most apparent because I cannot create. The Son created all things... and he will do so again. He will make all things new. As for me, I can only collect. I collect thoughts, words, actions, ideas, memories, loves, objects, pieces of earth, sights, sounds, hopes... none of these start from me. They merely stay.

You create. I don't. I feel that frustration as I sit in front of my computer looking out onto a sweeping horizon of your created world. The famous men of this world, the ones we remember most, they are the conquerors, they are the men of blood spilt. Is this because they cannot create anything for themselves? The closest we can do to creation is destruction. Is that true?

We have no concept of creation. None. We can't fathom it. We use phrases like "the big bang" to describe something not even close to graspable.

I admit, it sounds nice to create. This love of collecting thoughts you've placed in me, is it the reflected, weaker version of creating? Will I yet see you create something holy new? And if I do see it, will you let me fathom it?

And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly... their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death." -Revelation 21:5-8

I am thirsty. How do I conquer?

No comments:

Post a Comment