Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Horrible Responsibility #1


This series exists to help me refine my reflections about daily life as I seek:
To worship God and relentlessly seek the expansion of his Kingdom on Earth.


God,

Genghis Khan's army puts into perspective a 'duh' statement; discipline gets things done. If I claim to seek you out, to love you, to yearn to wrestle with you and grow in faith, hope and perseverance, than I must apply discipline in my life and act responsibly on that premise.

There was a time when the Mongol army decided to wipe away a city full of people. 130,000 souls were to be erased that day by the vengeful steppe people. But this scene takes place in an age long before weapons of mass destruction, before even gun powder came into dominance. The 130,000 needed to be eradicated by hand.

The empire took care of the problem by dividing up the 130,000 by the number of their own army. They may have had around 20,000 men that day, so each Mongol soldier was responsible to take out roughly 12 people. It was that simple. If you didn't take out your 12, you were taken out.

This is an extremely grim example, but it remains an example nonetheless.

To follow you I must take responsibility for what you've given me.

And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. -Matthew 25:30

No comments:

Post a Comment